Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Remember and Celebrate



Ok, so it isn't actually Wednesday nor is this Wordless, but the blog hop is open today, so I'm taking advantage.  Yesterday was awful.  As a runner and supporter of the running community, I can only imagine what the people viewing, helping and running the Boston Marathon went through.  The runners are exhausted but elated that they've reached the incredible feat of running 26.1 miles - and at the pace they were going, they had consistently held a sub 10 minute mile pace for 26 miles.  The fans are cheering and screaming their loved ones on, helping to motivate them to push that last tenth of a mile.  The volunteers are also cheering, calling out names if they're on the running bibs, or just yelling general encouragement and enjoying the day.

And then there is not one but two explosions.  Screaming, chaos, blood, tears, heartbreak.  We've all seen the videos and pictures. We've heard the mayor, governor, and president speak.  Now we mourn the losses and support the people effected by this.

Today is the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, and in another 4 days is the anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings.  Clearly, something is very wrong with this time of year.  So today we remember all of these tragedies, but we also have to remember to move forward, and to celebrate what we can.

April 15th was not only Patriots Day in Massachusetts, but it was also the anniversary of the first baseball game that Jackie Robinson played in the Big Leagues.  On April 16, 1862, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, so in DC, today is Emancipation Day.  And in my small world, today is my silly dog Riley's 7th Birthday. 

Which brings me to my picture for Wordless Wednesday.  I raced home last night, trying to get to the TV in time for the president's press conference, and my dogs rushed to me and were extra happy to see me, giving me extra kisses and wanting extra hugs and petting.  I may be projecting (ok, I probably am) but I swear they knew something was wrong and were trying to cheer me up.  So today I am still sad, but I'm celebrating life.  So here's to one little life that does nothing greater than make me smile every day.

Happy 7th birthday, RiRi!

22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday RiRi! heheh! so cute :-)

    Have a barktastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Riley! Cute little puppy. I think I heard him say that he wants to visit the chickens on the "farm". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by "visit" you mean "chase, terrorize and try to eat" then yes, he definitely wants to!

      Delete
  3. We need a picture like that today. Happy Birthday, buddy. I'm a new follower. Please consider following me. Free Ebook Search for Seniors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow and for stopping by! I'm hopping over to your site now.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday RiRi!
    Please link up http://savegreenbeinggreen.blogspot.com/2013/04/wordless-wednesday-book-arts-class.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would link up if I had any idea HOW to! I've been trying to figure that out for weeks now!

      Delete
  5. Look at that face! Dirt and all, and still adorable! Definitely a bright spot to come home to after a dreary day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, he makes me smile every day - dirty face or clean!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday sweet Riley! Yesterday certainly took its toil on us all... what a blessing to come home to that sweet face of innocence!

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful post with us this week at WW at Create With Joy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting this blog hop - love it!

      Delete
  7. Dogs are wonderful. It's as if they know how to help us through our darkest hours.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/04/atoz-ww-n-for-naughty-pictures.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think they do. They're more perceptive than we give them credit for.

      Delete
  8. If you like books and you like Westies, check out the McDuff series by Rosemary Wells. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDuff is so cute! I have the Christmas book. I should grab the other ones, too. Thanks for the reminder and for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. And this is why I love my doggies. No matter what they always have a smile for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been a really rough week and so many people are hurting. This post was a really nice reminder to celebrate life despite the hard times. It was especially nice to be reminded of those important dates through history. Thank you for sharing Sus :) I hope your little pup had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for welcoming me back to blogging. Happy Birthday to RiRi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. satta king

    satta king

    satta king What kind of income you have for when you retire? Consider things like your pension plans and government benefits.

    ReplyDelete