Wednesday, July 10, 2013

City of Bones, Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Rating: 3.5 Stars

16 year old Clarissa "Clary" Frey's life is turned upside down when she meets 3 mysterious teenagers at a club.  Next thing she knows, she's being attacked by a demon, her mother is missing and she's being taken in by those teenagers into their sanctuary.  Everything she thought she knew turns out to be a lie. She learns about a whole other world of demons, vampires, werewolves and Nephilim, who are children of the Angel Raziel - and who she is one of.   She has to help stop a rogue Nephilim from making himself an army to destroy the peace accords keeping all these entities in check.

Ok, so I'm late to the game with this one.  The movie is coming out in August and I decided to read the book.  I liked it.  It was fast-paced and interesting.   I liked the characters and the story.  It's not the OMG IT'S SO GOOD that The Hunger Games was, but it's more along the Twilight "It's enjoyable I'll keep reading" good.

SPOILER ALERT!!!  DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK

However, with all that said, at the end of the book when Clary confronts Valentine and Jace is there and we discover that Clary and Jace are brother and sister?  Yeah, I threw up in my mouth a little bit.  And said EWWWWWWWWWW really loudly.  And gaged.  And squirmed in my seat. Then made more retching sounds.

My favorite movie may be The Empire Strikes Back and I love all thing Star Wars, but all that Luke and Leia share is a peck.  A peck!  No tongue!  No hints at them destined to be soul mates!  And absolutely not love.  YECH.  Seriously, I am so skeeved out by this, I don't want to read the rest of the books even if it turns out to be an elaborate hoax.  Just the thought of it is too ... YUCK.  I mean, if they had reacted like I am now, I might have been ok with reading more, but they are still so clearly in love and OMG IT'S YOUR SIBLING!!!  Oh God, I'm gagging again just thinking about it...

So yeah, book 2? No thanks.

And to the author - way to ruin a book for me.  Well done, you.  Well done.

5 comments:

  1. Well, eventually it all gets better. But I had the SAME reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll read books 2 and 3. If you didn't love 4&5, then maybe I'll just stop at 3.

      Delete
  2. LOLOL! I was really taken aback by that scene too - I never saw it coming and I can usually guess a plot line. That said, it made it different and book two will be in my next book order.

    I gave this 4/5. I really enjoyed it, but some of the writing was weird. An apples tastes green, for example! How does something "taste green"????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series. It sounds good. I wonder what will be better, the movie or the books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. satta kingFigure out exactly what your financial needs and costs will be after retirement. It has been proven that most folks needs at least 3/4 of your current income. Workers in the lower incomes should figure they need at least 90 percent.

    ReplyDelete