Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sure is quiet around here...

Hello all my lovely followers! 

So sorry for being MIA lately.  I have no excuses, really.  I've been reading, but I just haven't read anything spectacular that I want to share with everyone.  I downloaded a bunch of books to take on my recent vacation, but I was distracted by the fact that I was in Costa Rica. It was so freakin' beautiful I didn't want to waste any awake time by not looking at the scenery and animals and doing all the fun things.  I mean, I went zip lining upside down!  See?  Proof:

So now I'm not in the gorgeous "tropical humid forest" of Costa Rica, but in the "mid-Atlantic humid swamp" that is DC.  And back to books I go!

Well, as I mentioned before, I haven't read anything ZOMG in quite a while, so I decided to go back to the beginning. Back to the first books that made me fall in love with reading.  It was in 8th grade when my fabulous friend Beatriz introduced me to The Belgariad by David Eddings. 

The first book is Pawn of Prophecy.Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1) Taking place in a different fantastical world, it's the story of a young boy, Garion, who is being raised on a farm by his Aunt Pol.  A migrant story-teller, Mr. Wolf, comes to visit now and then and befriends the boy. When Garion is about 14, events in his life take a turn for the strange and dangerous and he, his aunt, Mr. Wolf and the farm's blacksmith, Durnik, leave on an adventure to search for "someone" who has stolen "something".  These people and that thing will turn Garion's ordinary life into something extraordinary, and everything he thought he knew gets flipped around. 

It's such a fun book.  It's epic high fantasy.  The first 5 books in this world are The Belgariad and the second 5 books are The Mallorean.  These books gripped me and dragged me into their world right away and I found myself dying to read the next and the next and the next.  When I finished with them I realized that I needed another book to take the place of this fabulous series...and thus my love of books began.  20 some years later, I've reread the series 4 or 5 times.  Each time I learn something new, smile at something that I know now will happen but didn't realize then.  I always enjoy it and I love sharing these books with others and vicariously reliving that first time in David Edding's world through them.

I highly recommend these books.  They start out YA, so are totally appropriate for younger readers, but they have a maturity that lends them well to adult eyes.  I must say that my high English SAT score can directly be related to these books.  Also most of my speech affectations.  I didn't realize how unoriginal I was until I started reading it again this time and realized how much of my speech I stole from these books.  Oh well, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?

I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer!  If you have anything spectacular that you'd like to recommend to me to read, please do!  In the meanwhile, if you need me, I'll be buried in The Belgariad and The Mallorean.  I'll be in touch again soon!

xoxo
Sus


5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had such a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow zip lining. Sounds like fun! :)

    I love re-reading old favourites. So neat how much of an impact books can have on our lives. Keep having a great summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zip line! It looks like so much fun. My sisters did that in Costa Rica last year and I can't wait to try it myself. Must have been a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. play bazaar
    play bazaar Teach measurements and conversion of measurement by letting your kids help you with supper.

    ReplyDelete