Monday, September 16, 2013

The DC Navy Yard Shooting: My Thoughts

As you may or may not know, I work in DC.  I was born here in DC and I live outside the city.  Today's shooting at the Navy Yard happened maybe a mile and half - two miles from my office.  A quick 5 minute cab ride.  I've been following twitter and the trending hashtag #NavyYardShooting and several of the posts infuriate me.  So I thought I'd straighten a few things about about DC for everyone.

First, it's a tiny city.  Teeny tiny in the realm of major world capitals. 68.3 square miles, including water.  It is sandwiched between Maryland and Virginia. Since it's small, many of the people who work in DC commute in from the MD and VA suburbs, like I do.

Second, for 32 or so years, handguns were banned in DC.  That was repealed in 2007 (it's true, look it up). However, considering its close proximity to Maryland and Virginia, you could live in one of those states, get your gun there and then drive on over to DC in no time at all.

Third, since 9-11 and the sniper shootings, security in DC is high.  My building rents out 3 or 4 floors to the DoJ (Dept. of Justice) and there are armed guards on each of those floors.  I pass armed MTA, K-9 units and TSA agents at the train station EVERY DAY.  And frequently DCPD as well.


So arming DC?  It's not the answer here.  The DC cop and the security guard who were shot today were armed and unfortunately, they were still harmed.  Guns aren't the problem or the solution.  Unhinged people are the problem...I have no idea what the solution is.

Fourth, while DC is overflowing with military and government agencies, they all employ civilians.  A lot of civilians.  We don't know who was injured aside from the DC police officer and the security guard, but I would assume that civilians got hurt as well.

So stop making jokes about this being a military hit.  Stop assuming that more guns would have solved the problem.  Just stop.

People died today. Let's all have some respect for them and the families who are grieving.

7 comments:

  1. I love this part: Guns aren't the problem or the solution. Unhinged people are the problem...I have no idea what the solution is.

    I don't think anyone knows what the solution is. But people are so cold toward anything not happening to them. :(

    Yesterday made me sad, as well. In fact, I'm starting to feel sad quite often. There is so much bad in this world. This is why we have to focus on the positive aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      People do tend to not care unless it effects them. I'll admit to that - not that I'm cold, per se, but not as connected. This connected, tho. How many times have I gone to a Nats game and parked across from the Navy Yard? It hit just too close to home for me.

      And yes, there is so much bad in this world, but there's good, too. Like while walking to lunch today, passing two people who had their arms outstretched as they ran to embrace each other. It was sweet and kind of funny. But mostly sweet.

      Delete
  2. I think you hit on the right answer. We need to be more connected. I mean, really connected - not just FB, Twitter and the like.

    I don't understand why someone would take people's lives like that. The upside is far fewer people are killed through mass shooting than are killed crossing the street. The downside is people are still killed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I don't think we'll ever understand except that sometimes terrible things happen to good people.

      Delete
  3. Use life as an opportunity to teach. There is more that can be learned every day. Help them out with their grammar mistakes as well.play bazaar
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete